Tuesday 30 March 2010

Why is the 1001 so odd?

I used to drink a lot. And I mean A LOT.
Every night, seven days a week I would go to a bar or club and drink. This coupled with the fact that I'm no longer as young as I once was means that I have spent a lot of time in said bars and clubs.
And yet, in the thousands (LITERALLY THOUSANDS) of evenings I have spent drinking I have never encountered a place quite like the 1001 in brick lane.


Its hard to put my finger on why the 1001 is so strange but I will try.


The other night I was there, and some guy came over to me, smiled and handed me a bottle. I took the bottle, assuming he wanted to do something like get out his phone, or say something, but he just walked off. I have no idea why he did this, perhaps it was some ludicrous dominance game, or attempt to make me look stupid. Whatever it was, the 1001 being the 1001 I felt compelled to react, so when he passed by me later in the evening I pushed him with my shoulder. I hate the 1001 for making feel the need to do things like that.


Another weird thing about the 1001 is the stairs. Whenever you want to go down stairs to get a drink, invariably someone will be coming up the other way. And not one or two people, but a whole cavalcade. You politely wait for the people to pass but they just keep coming and coming! Where are they all going?


Never any spare seats either!


But the eeriest thing of all about the 1001, is the lack of eye contact. There are so many beautiful young women there, but no matter how long you spend looking around, not a one will make eye contact with you. Its so pervasive you stop noticing after a while, until you go to another bar and people actually return your gaze!


Its not that the 1001 is unfriendly, just a bit unnerving.

No comments:

Post a Comment